Friday, May 18, 2012

Gettin' Crafty: Bubba Mug

So, its summertime. For students, that means working a little bit for some extra cash, but also a lot of time in the sun. All you need is a towel, pool, and a big mug for water, soda, or whatever else you need to stay cool in that summer sun. But why settle for a normal glass when you can have an awesome one like this??
Well, it's actually pretty easy. I'm currently working on mine, but here are the steps to making a rockin' summer mug.


What you need:
-Bubba Keg (like this one here)
-Metal Primer (like this one here)
-Any plain white spray paint
-Acrylic paint/ paint pens (whichever you prefer but make sure it's acrylic)
-A can of mod podge (like this one here)
-Paintbrushes
-Waterproof sealer (like this one here)


Steps
1) Spray the metal part of the mug with the metal primer. Let it dry.


2) Spray the same part of the mug with the white spray paint. Let it dry.


3) Use the paint and paint pens to decorate however you please! Be creative. Tip: if you want to have a really fun pattern like this Lilly Pulitzer one, draw the pattern with a pencil onto tissue paper, then trace over the paper onto the mug with a sharpie. The pattern will bleed through and create a pattern for you to fill in. 


4) Use a paintbrush and thoroughly coat the area with two coats. It is very important that you do this so it doesn't chip.
5) After this dries, use the waterproof sealer to spray over the area so that water or any drinks do not ruin the beautiful painting you have done. 


6) Fill with your favorite drink and get to relaxing!


I will post a picture of my own mug soon!

5 comments:

  1. is step 4 referring to the mod podge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I really want to make that bubba mug. So cute! I will definitely be trying to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted a bubba mug to take with me to work. However, now I can see that there is a way to dress it up and look stylish! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so adorable! I agree with Mia, I definitely need to try making this bubba mug for myself. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete